Few watch brands create their own movement and of those that do, only a handful add something really original and important to the world of watchmaking. Christopher Ward's in-house, Calibre SH21, which powers the C9 Harrison 5 Day Automatic is one such movement.
Created by our master watchmaker, Johannes Jahnke, our new calibre, which is a certified chronometer by the Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute (COSC), can run under its own steam, once fully wound, for 120 hours/5 days. And here's the really clever bit; unlike most movements with such extended reserves of power there is no compromise in the stability or robustness of the movement which means the wearer can be confident that his watch will withstand even quite rugged conditions and require the minimum of servicing.
The design of the watch follows the familiar modern classic ethos of the Harrison Collection. It has that understated and timeless quality of all Harrison's which requires each element to be harmonious and brilliantly executed so that the whole becomes greater than the sum of the parts.
Every aspect of the watch exudes elegance and high quality - from the sharpness of the dial's indexes to the subtle brilliance of the Bader deployment that gives the perfect finishing touch to the fine Louisiana alligator strap or bracelet.
And talking about finishing touches, our new in-house movement, which can be gloriously viewed through the sapphire crystal exhibition window in the case-back, has been finished using a traditional, and difficult to execute, hand-grinding technique so favoured by English watchmakers of an earlier era. Each wheel has been properly turned and each screw flat-polished, as with blued screws, but we have again elected for the more traditional English steel finish over the blue.
Four years ago our own movement seemed like an unattainable dream. Four years later, as a small, independent English watch brand we may have created, thanks to the genius of Johannes Jahnke and that indomitable Christopher Ward spirit, an important addition to the watchmaking cannon that will cause waves in horological circles but which, far more importantly, will give its owner a lifetime of undiluted pleasure as well as precise and accurate timekeeping.
- In-house calibre SH21 automatic movement (100% Swiss made)by Johannes Jahnke
- COSC certified chronometer
- Twin barrel construction in a series connection
- 120 hour power reserve
- 31 jewels
- Date display at 3 o'clock
- Full tungsten automatic rotor with ball bearings
- Continuous central second
- Stop-second hacking mechanism
- Galvanic sun-ray one-piece metal dial with raised nickel indexes and nickel hands
- Hand finished, surgical grade, stainless steel case and crown
- Museum-grade sapphire crystal with AR08 anti-reflective coating
- Screw-down transparent case back with full diameter AR08 anti-reflective sapphire crystal
- Ethically sourced premium Louisiana alligator strap and Bader Deployment
- Luxury presentation case and owner's handbook
Photographs: Christopher Ward
- Diameter: 43mm
- Height: 13.45mm
- Calibre: SH21 automatic
- Vibrations: 28.800 vph
- Case: 316L stainless steel
- Water resistance: 5 atm/50 metres
- CITES certified, premium Louisiana alligator strap or 316L Stainless Steel Bracelet
For more information: